English-speaking support groups and meetings for AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) following the 12 Steps programme, drug aid, family support groups, AIDS and more. See this page for contact information...
Below find information on helplines and support groups for the following:
The AA Thailand website has information about Alcoholics Anonymous meetings throughout the country. Refer to the comprehensive website for meeting times, venues and maps to the locations. All AA meetings are in English unless stated otherwise.
Al-Anon meetings provide support to the family, friends and those affected by an alcoholic in their lives.
The Narcotics Anonymous Thailand group provides help and support for those for whom drugs have become a problem and for those that want to stay free of drugs. Regular meetings (some in English) take place in various locations in Thailand. A Narcotics Anonymous helpline is available 24/7.
The AIDS Access Foundation provides support and counselling for adults and children living with HIV/AIDS in Thailand. It has a hotline for free consultations, support and advice for those who are HIV positive or concerned that they may be. An English speaker should be available. It is also very active in awareness and education campaigns.
- Aids Access Foundation (in Thai)
Tel: 02 373 222 (10:00-20:00)
Links to HIV and AIDS support groups, clinics and information can be found on the following websites:
- Pink Ink
- Asian HIV/AIDS Information Archive
- The Thai government and local NGOs established clear policies and treatment to reduce infection rates of HIV/AIDS. For information on this from website Avert.org: Click here
International Support Group Foundation: A non-profit organisation run by Thai and expatriate volunteers to help families from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Celiac Disease Gluten Intolerant Support Group: Support group that helps to raise awareness of Celiac Disease and build a supportive community for patients and parents to share experiences and resources.
- Tel: 087 035 1321
LEAP - L(earning) E(ducation) A(dvocacy) P(rogram): Parent-run group that serves as a point of contact for parents in need of support, referrals and information concerning their children’s special needs including learning disabilities, developmental delays, sensory integration and autism.
The Thai Ministry of Public Health's Department of Health Service Support runs One Stop Crisis Centres for women and children of all nationalities who are victims of violence. There are currently 104 operational centres located in general and regional hospitals in Bangkok and the Provinces. Contact the local government hospital to check whether help is available.
- For further information of these services: Click here
Mental Health and Crisis Support
The Samaritans of Thailand provides a service for those seeking emotional support in times of distress or despair. A 24-hour, 7-day-a-week answer phone service is available in English. Leave a number and they will call back within 24 hours.
Samaritans of Thailand
Tel: 02 713 6791 (English-language call back service)
Tel: 02 713 6793 (Thai, English-speaking help is sometimes available but not guaranteed)
Royal British Legion Thailand provides support for those who have served or are serving in the British Armed Forces (and/or their dependants). Regular Sunday meetings at Tropical Bert's pub in Pattaya.
- British Women's Group: Provides assistance to a number of organisations including scholarship programs to help Thai children.
Tel: 02 305 8333
- International Women's Club of Thailand (IWC): Has its own scholarship program providing help to Thai girls in completing their studies
Tel: 02 627 3256
- Australian-New Zealand Women's Group: Provides financial assistance for educational scholarships
- American Women's Club of Thailand (AWC): Promotes friendship within the American community and with Thai people through social, cultural and philanthropic activities
Tel: 02 712 3380/1
- Samutprakarn International Ladies Club: An international club providing volunteer work in certain schools and HIV centres
Tel: 02 740 3031