Leaving Turkey and Moving On

Information on what to do when moving from Turkey; including notifying schools and residency officials, closing bank accounts, ending contracts for utilities and insurance, exporting cars and moving pets...

When leaving Turkey and moving on, there are a number of tasks to be completed before departure.

Local Authorities

If leaving the country permanently, holders of a Turkish ID number must inform the local district registration office of their departure in order to cancel this number.

Financial Issues


Foreigners who pay tax in Turkey must pay all due taxes, for example property taxes and any outstanding income tax before leaving the country. It is possible to obtain a "No Tax Liability" document from the Revenue Administration's website. Individuals who leave Turkey permanently must submit their tax return 15 days before they leave.

  • For further information: Click here (in Turkish)

Bank accounts

Banks should be notified of the move as soon as possible. It is advisable to keep the bank account open for a short period of time after the move to cover any outstanding debits. However, there may be additional service charges if the customer is no longer resident in the country; check with the relevant bank.


All Turkish insurance policies, including home and car insurance, should be cancelled by contacting the provider. In most cases written notice is required. The amount of notice required depends on the contract and the reasons for terminating the contract.

Car insurance companies may be able to provide proof of any accumulated no claims bonus, which can be used when insuring a vehicle in the new country.

Post and Mail Forwarding

There are no mail forwarding services available from PTT when moving house in Turkey.

Rental Accommodation

There is no set period for a long-term lease agreement and the term may be decided by the tenant and landlord. However, long-term rental contracts are usually signed for a one-year period; this is automatically renewed if neither the landlord nor the tenant gives notice. The tenant may terminate the lease by giving notice 15 days before the end of the lease term. If terminating a lease before the end of its term tenants should give two months' notice.

Notice can be given by telephone to the landlord or, if renting through an agency, by contacting the agency. Written notice is not mandatory, but is advisable. If there are no problems when leaving the property, tenants can expect to retrieve their deposit within a week.


Electricity and gas

Disconnection of the electricity supply is done in person at the electricity supplier's office. Provide the customer number and the latest meter reading. It is advisable to contact the office at least three days before leaving the property.

Electricity distributors in Turkey include:

Disconnection of the gas supply is done in person at the gas distribution office. Provide the customer number and the latest meter reading as soon as the moving date is known and at least three days before leaving the property.

Gas supply is delivered mainly by state-owned agencies. Some of the main gas suppliers in Turkey are:


Water is supplied by the local municipality (belediye). To disconnect the water supply, go to the local water supplier's office and provide proof of identity and the date that the water is to be disconnected or transferred to another name. It is advisable to contact the office at least three days before leaving the property. In general, there is a deposit that is paid back when cancelling the contract. The customer needs to present the receipt (makbuz) in order to be reimbursed.

Water suppliers for some of the main towns in Turkey are:


Türk Telekom is the national supplier of landline telephone, Internet, ADSL and wireless connection.

To cancel a telephone contract, customers should give at least three days' notice. There is a fee for disconnecting the service, which is added to the final bill.

Exporting a Car

The customs requirements in the destination country should be checked well in advance of moving so that all documents and paperwork can be prepared. Consulates or the Embassy in the new country can provide information on registration and licence obligations.

If the vehicle is to leave Turkey permanently, the Temporary Entrance Carnet (YTGGK) should be returned to a Turing office (Turkish Touring and Automobile Union). The security deposit is then returned to the vehicle owner. The number plates must be returned to the Traffic Registration Office and the original plates re-attached to the vehicle.

Leaving Turkey with a Pet

Pets bought in Turkey may be exported for non-commercial purposes to other countries providing they satisfy the criteria of the destination country.

As requirements for importing animals vary greatly between countries, it is advisable to obtain all necessary details from the authorities of the destination country. Many countries may require a period of quarantine or may not allow the pet to enter directly from Turkey.

Details of the requirements of some countries for importing pets:

  • United Kingdom: the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) provides information for bringing pets to the United Kingdom. For details: Click here
  • USA: the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provide information on the requirements for bringing animals into the USA: Click here
  • European countries: The European Pet Passport allows qualifying domestic animals to freely cross borders within Europe. The Europa website provides information on the requirements for bringing animals into the EU: Click here
  • Australia: the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service has information on bringing cats, dogs and other pets to Australia: Click here
  • New Zealand: Biosecurity New Zealand provides information on the requirements for bringing animals into New Zealand: Click here