Ending a Civil Partnership in the UK

Unlike divorce, the process to end a partnership is relatively easy...

A civil partnership ends with permission from a court, or if one of the partners dies. The courts can either:

  • Grant a dissolution order, but only if the civil partnership has lasted for at least a year
  • Grant a separation order
  • Grant an annulment

Non-British citizens should check their rights to stay in the UK if ending a civil partnership. Advice can be obtained from a Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB).

Further Information