The Registration Process: Giving Notice

Find out how to go about registering a civil partnership in the United Kingdom...

Before registering a civil partnership, the couple must both give notice in person at their local register office, even if the registration is to take place elsewhere. Each must have been resident in the area where they are giving notice at least seven days beforehand. The notices then remain on public display for 15 days in the area where each lives, and in the area where the registration is to take place.

When giving notice, the following information is required from each party:

  • Full name
  • Age
  • Address
  • Nationality
  • Current status (single, divorced, widowed/widowered)
  • Information on the venue for the registration of the partnership
  • Occupation

Proof of identity, such as a passport, should be taken, with, if applicable, proof of divorce or dissolution of a previous partnership. Foreigners may have to provide additional documents, such as a visa. There is a fee for giving notice.

Signing the partnership

Following the 15-day waiting period, if there are no objections or legal reasons why the partnership cannot take place, the register office provides the couple with a civil partnership schedule. This must be signed by both partners in front of two witnesses and the civil partnership registrar, either at a register office or an approved venue. This must be done within twelve months of giving notice.

A ceremony may be organised as part of the civil partnership procedure, however this is not obligatory. A religious ceremony is not permitted at the signing of the civil partnership document.

A person may take their partner's surname when registering the civil partnership.

The couple may get a civil partnership certificate after registration, for a fee. Copies of civil partnership certificates can be obtained for a fee from the register office where the partnership was registered.

  • For comprehensive information on registering a civil partnership: Click here
  • For information from Click here