Emergencies in the United Kingdom

Emergency services: the numbers to call for Fire, Police and Ambulance in the UK...

In case of an accident or emergency, it is important to know who to contact and what to say. The appropriate number to call will depend on whether there is a life threatening injury, fire, or a minor illness.

  • Non-emergency injuries can be treated at a GP surgery or local Minor Injuries Unit. See Minor Injuries Units for details of what to do and who to call.
Service Contact
Police, Fire, Ambulance, Coastguard Tel: 999
Tel: 112
Crime: (non-emergency) Tel: 101

Accident and Emergency (A&E)

Only visit A&E departments in hospitals for serious problems. A&E treats serious injuries or illnesses, such as loss of consciousness, severe pain, chest pain, large cuts and wounds and breathing difficulties. A&E is always open; no appointment is needed.