Obligations of Landlords and Tenants

Both landlord and tenant have certain obligations and rights in the UK. Find out about Council Tax, insurance, gas, electricity and water...

Both landlords and tenants have legal obligations when renting properties. Tenants are obliged to pay rent, charges and utilities as defined in their agreement. Landlords' responsibilities include repairs and providing a property fit to live in.

How to Terminate a Tenancy Agreement

For the rules on giving notice when leaving a rental property, refer to the terms of the agreement. Notice should be written and sent by registered mail, or given in person.

Landlords can end an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) or Assured Contract at the end of its term, but must give two months' notice. If notice is not given, the tenancy is renewed automatically. For a tenant on an AST agreement, notice periods will be stipulated in the tenancy agreement.

Resolving Problems

In the event of a dispute, it is advisable to seek help from the Citizens Advice Bureau before contacting a solicitor. Housing or environmental health departments at the local council may also be able to provide help and advice. Tenants can only be evicted if the landlord gives written notice and obtains a Court Order.

  • Dispute resolution authorities depend on the area you live in. For more information on the tenancy dispute process see Gov.UK


It is the landlord's responsibility to insure the building and its contents along with its fixtures and fittings. The tenant is responsible for insuring their own possessions.

Council Tax

All occupants have to pay a tax to the local council for municipal services such as rubbish collection. This applies to all domestic properties, including houses, flats (apartments) and mobile homes. The tenant is almost always responsible for the council tax, and must register with the local council as soon as they move in to a property.


In most cases the tenant pays for water, electricity, gas, and telephone lines and must register with the relevant providers when moving in.