Residency in the United Kingdom

Information on moving to the UK, visas, work permits and how to get legally resident in England, Scotland Wales or Northern Ireland....

The British Government's UK Visas and Immigration is responsible for issuing the correct paperwork for people entering or staying in the UK. It has a fully comprehensive guide on its website as to who needs to apply for a residency visa and how to go about it.

Coming to the UK

Anyone from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland may move to the UK to live and work provided they can afford to support themselves "without becoming an unreasonable burden on public funds", according to the Government's website. This is known as the "right of residence".

Citizens of many other countries worldwide may also remain in the UK for up to six months, provided they can show they have a return ticket, or the means to buy one, at the end of their stay. They must also be able to prove they can support themselves without having to work.

Citizens from a further 112 countries must apply for a visa to enter the country. These citizens are called Visa Nationals.

Citizens from 58 of the above countries must also apply for a visa to be able to transit in the UK, unless they have a valid visa and airline ticket to Australia, New Zealand, America or Canada.