National Administration in the UK

Contact information for the national and local administrative centres in the UK. The place to go for residency papers, vehicle registration papers, driving licences and more... is the official UK government website for residents of the UK. It has a lot of useful information for people already living and working in the UK and those who are moving to the UK.

MyUKinfo provides information on immigration, working in the UK, UK life and culture, housing, money, family issues, health and emergencies.

Local Councils

Local councils make decisions for the local community about local services, how land is used, rubbish collection and leisure facilities. Council Tax helps to pay for these services and all residents, whether they live in a rented or privately owned property, must pay this tax which is normally paid monthly. The amount paid depends on the value of the property. The person who lives in the property is responsible for paying Council Tax.

When a person moves into or out of a property, inform the relevant local council(s) to ensure that the right amount of council tax is paid.

  • To find a local council and contact details: Click here

The Register Office

Administrative formalities associated with life events, such as birth, death and marriage, are the responsibility of the local Register Office.

  • To find a local register office in England or Wales: Click here


UK Visas and Immigration is responsible for issuing the paperwork for people entering or staying in the UK.

It is responsible for:

  • Citizenship
  • Permission to stay in the UK
  • Permission to work in the UK
  • Refuge and asylum
  • Visas

A registration certificate is a document that European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals can apply for which confirms the holder's rights of residence under European law. It is not obligatory. All the necessary forms are found on the UK Border Agency website or can be obtained from any one of the public enquiry offices in Cardiff, Croydon, Glasgow, Liverpool, Belfast, Sheffield or Solihull.

  • To find a local public enquiry office: Click here

In some cases when extending temporary permission to stay, a person will need to apply for a biometric residence permit, formerly known as an ID card for foreign nationals. This permit confirms a person's identity and is evidence of permission to stay in the UK. When applying for an extension to stay, the application form will inform a person whether or not this permit is needed.

  • For comprehensive information and to find out who needs a biometric residence permit: Click here

Employed migrants under the points-based system must inform the UK Border Agency of their change of contact details.

  • The Change of Circumstances form can be downloaded: Click here (PDF)

Send the form to the following address:

  • UK Border Agency
    Change of Circumstances Form
    PO Box 3468
    S3 8WA


Most countries have their own Embassy in London. Part of their job is to help people from their country who are living in the UK with any legal, passport and immigration troubles they might have.

Tax Offices

Those earning over a certain amount of income per year are liable to pay income tax. For employees, this tax is automatically deducted under the Pay As You Earn scheme (PAYE).

For any problems or questions related to income tax, a person should contact their local tax office, or ask their employer.

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) can also be contacted with questions related to tax, child benefit, National insurance Contributions and tax credits.

Driving Licences

Applications for a driving licence or a change to the details on a current driving licence are dealt with by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

  • Name and address changes can be done online: Click here
  • Applications can be sent to the following address:
    • DVLA
      SA99 1BT