Importing a Car to the United Kingdom

The information here only applies if you are bringing a car to the UK for your own, personal use....

Most foreigners can temporarily drive their own vehicle, motorcycle or scooter in the UK for up to six months, provided that they can show that all motoring taxes have been paid for in their country of origin. This can be for either one stay of six months, or several shorter visits up to 6 months in any one 12 month period.

If the vehicle is to be imported permanently to the UK, owners are obliged to register their vehicle with the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA).

The DVLA provides an Import Pack with all the information needed to register an imported vehicle. This can be ordered online.

However, if the vehicle is from a non-European Union (EU) country the driver must contact Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as soon as they enter the UK. The HMRC decides whether that particular vehicle can be used.

If a vehicle is to remain in the country indefinitely, it must be registered and licenced in the UK immediately.

The procedure is different for new and used cars.