Termination of Pregnancy and Abortion in Vietnam
Information on whom to contact and how to proceed in the event of an unwanted pregnancy. Also information on family planning clinics...
Abortion is legal in Vietnam, although the 2013 draft Law on Population (which is expected to be submitted to the National Assembly in 2014 to replace the current Ordinance on Population) now has amendments stating that abortion is only allowed if the health of the baby or mother is threatened. The Ministry of Health states that abortion is forbidden after 22 weeks of conception.
Abortion services are provided at three different levels of the Vietnamese health system, depending on the length of the pregnancy:
- Up to six weeks – abortions can take place in clinics in certain provinces provided that they meet required criteria set out by the Provincial Health Services
- Between six and 12 weeks – abortions are provided at district health stations
- Between six and 22 weeks – abortions are provided at central and provincial hospitals
For an abortion to take place, a permission form must be signed which states that a woman is responsible for the risks encountered during the abortion. The signature of a family member (husband, parents, or siblings) may be needed to certify the permission form.
The medical abortion drug Mifepristone, or RU-486, which works in the first seven weeks of pregnancy, is legal in Vietnam.
It is possible to obtain an abortion in the following hospitals in Vietnam:
- Bao Son International Hospital
- City International Hospital
- France-Vietnam Hospital
- Hanh Phuc Hospital
- International Hi-Tech Healthcare Park
- Vietnam Medical Practice
- Vinmec International Hospital
- General Office for Population Family Planning
At: 12 Ngo Tat To Street, Dong Da District, Hanoi
Tel: (04) 38435297
Fax: (04) 37474993
- Vietnam Family Planning Association
At: 2 Le Duc Tho Street, Cau Giay District, Hanoi
Tel: (04) 37648091
Fax: (04) 37648090