The Lease Agreement

Understand what to expect from the tenancy agreement when renting property in Vietnam…

A property rental contract in Vietnam must include the following information:

  • Name and address of the tenant and landlord
  • Description of the property with an inventory list (unfurnished and furnished properties)
  • Monthly rent and method of payment
  • Property availability date
  • Property rental period (with exact dates)
  • Rights and responsibilities of the tenant and landlord
  • Date and time of the contract signing
  • Signatures (with stamps if the house is rented by an agent)

An example of a contract template can be found here (in English and Vietnamese). The contract must be notarised if the rental period is more than six months.

Identification (such as a passport) and proof of residency (such as an immigration declaration paper and temporary residence card) is needed by foreigners when signing a rental agreement in Vietnam. It is not necessary to have a guarantor.


After the contract has been signed the landlord must register the temporary residency for the tenants at the local police department within 30 days of the start of the rental contract. The following documents are required:

  • Application form: Click here (PDF, in Vietnamese)
  • Declaration of household change form: Click here (PDF, in Vietnamese)
  • Signed rental contract
  • Agreement of temporary residence made and signed by the landlord
  • ID (for landlord and tenant)

The processing time is usually two days after the receipt of the relevant documents.

Rental Payments

Typical rental agreements for foreigners are for between six months and three years. Payment is usually made on a monthly or quarterly basis and can be made in US$ or Vietnamese dong. A deposit of between one and three months’ rent is usually paid. Early termination clauses can often be negotiated between tenant and landlord and written into the contract.

Note: Sub-letting is not allowed without the prior consent of the landlord.

Service Charges

In rented buildings where there is a management unit in operation a service fee will be applicable. Electricity and telecommunication charges are usually paid for separately by the tenant, although water bills are included in the management charge. The landlord is also responsible for property taxes, building insurance and any repairs to communal areas, although any internal damage caused by the tenant must be repaired at their own cost.

Further Information