Find out how to get connected to electricity suppliers in Vietnam...
The largest supplier of electricity in Vietnam is the state-owned Vietnam Electricity Company (EVN) which is regulated by the Ministry of Industry and Trade.
EVN manages and operates the national electricity network throughout the country.
- Vietnam Electricity Company (EVN)
At: 18 Tran Nguyen Han, Ly Thai To Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
Tel: (04) 22171626
Fax: (04) 37725192
EVN has branches around Vietnam and has offices in the major cities.
- Ho Chi Minh Power Corporation (EVNHCMC)
At: 35 Ton Duc Thang Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
Tel: (08) 22201177 / (08) 22201188 / (08) 22201199
Fax: (08) 22201155 / (08) 22201166
- Hanoi Power Corporation (EVNHANOI)
At: 69 Dinh Tien Hoang , Hanoi
Tel: (04) 22200898
Fax: (04) 22200899
- For contact details of subsidiary EVN companies throughout Vietnam: Click here
In many cases the electricity bill is covered as part of the rent, in which case the account is likely to remain in the landlord's name. If the account is to be held in the tenant's name, then the local office of the provider should be contacted with the new details. This may have to be done in conjunction with the landlord to help overcome any language barriers.
The following documents are needed in order to connect to the electricity supply:
- Application form (available from any local EVN branch)
- Copy of ID
- Residency card or passport (foreigners also need a valid visa)
- Proof of address
- Certificate of house ownership or rental contract
- Fee for any equipment related to electricity connection
Connection takes 5-7 days after the application form has been submitted.
An electricity bill is issued every month and is based on a monthly meter reading. Traditionally, an agent from the electricity company calls to take the meter reading and collect payment at the customer’s house on a fixed day each month. It is common practice for customers to write the meter reading on a board outside of their property if they are absent on the day that the agent is due to call to read the meter.
- For a schedule of the meter reading and bill payment dates for Ho Chi Minh City: Click here
EVN is beginning to accept payment by bank transfer and at ATMs though the following banks:
Customers need to register at an EVN branch to use this service.
- For details of the tariff for electricity consumption: Click here