Leaving Vietnam and Moving On

Leaving <strong>Vietnam</strong>? Find out how to notify schools, residency officials, banks and how to end <strong>utility </strong>contracts and move pets…

When it comes to moving on and leaving Vietnam, there are a number of administrative tasks which need to be undertaken in order to ensure a smooth departure.

Resident Card and Work Permits

When leaving Vietnam, the resident card must be returned to the issuing immigration office.

Addresses for immigration offices in Vietnam can be found below:

In Hanoi:

  • Immigration Department Head Office
    At: 44-46 Tran Phu Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
    Tel: (04) 38257941 / (04) 38264026
    Fax: (04) 38243287 / (04) 38243288
  • Immigration Office
    At: 89 Tran Hung Dao Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi
  • Immigration Office
    At: 2 Phung Hung, Ha Dong District, Hanoi

In Ho Chi Minh City:

  • Immigration Department Head Office
    At: 254 Nguyen Trai Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
    Tel: (08) 39202300 / (08) 39200365
  • Immigration Office
    At: 161 Nguyen Du, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City

In Danang:

  • Immigration Department Head Office
    At: 7 Tran Quy Cap Street, Danang
    Tel: (0511) 3860476
  • Immigration Office
    At: 78 Le Loi Street, Hai Chau District, Danang

Work permits must be submitted to the employer on termination of employment. The employer is then responsible for returning it to the competent agency.


All banks should be notified when leaving Vietnam, either to close an account or to change address. Accounts can be closed by visiting the local branch with the identification documents (passport or residence permit) used when the account was first opened.

The addresses and contact details of some of the main banks in Vietnam can be found below:


When an individual leaves Vietnam they must ensure that they pay all taxes for which they are liable. According to Vietnamese tax law, if a foreigner works in Vietnam for more than 183 days in a calendar year, the personal income tax finalisation declaration form (05A/KK-TNCN) must be completed.

Where an agent is employed to act on the behalf of an individual the following documentation must be provided when submitting a tax return:

  • Authorisation form (04-2/TNCN). This must be notarised if submitted from outside of Vietnam
  • Other evidence or invoice deductions (if any), including charity contributions and insurance contributions required under the provisions
  • Income tax finalisation declaration form (05A/KK-TNCN)

Tax offices

  • For contact details of tax offices in Hanoi: Click here (in Vietnamese)
  • For contact details of tax offices in Ho Chi Minh: Click here (in Vietnamese)
  • For contact details of tax offices in Da Nang: Click here (in Vietnamese)

Social Security, Pensions and Insurance

Foreign employees working for Vietnamese companies usually have private medical insurance provided by their employer and have rights under the medical insurance law of Vietnam; however, no refund is made when leaving the country. Foreigners must inform their employer of the termination of employment and the employer will then contact the medical insurance provider.

Foreigners in Vietnam are not currently entitled to national pension insurance, social insurance and unemployment insurance so a refund on leaving the country does not apply.

Rental Accommodation

According to Article 498 of the real estate law, either the tenant or landlord can terminate a rental contract with one month’s notice unless otherwise stated on the rental agreement.

The tenant is responsible for any damage to the apartment or house as well as any furnishings that came with the property. The security deposit will be retained if there is any damage or items missing from the property.

Water and Electricity

If the electricity and water supply to a rented property is included in the rental agreement, the final payment should be negotiated between the tenant and the landlord if the tenant leaves before paying the monthly bills (unless otherwise stated in the rental agreement).

The service providers should be contacted directly to arrange termination if the contract is held by the tenant.

Telephone and Internet

To terminate a telephone or Internet subscription, the contract and personal identification documents (passport or residence permit) must be presented at a branch of the company.

Addresses and contact details for telecommunication companies in Vietnam can be found below:

Mobile phones

In the case of mobile phone usage with pre-paid cards, no termination process is required. If the subscriber has a post-paid contract with the mobile phone company, the contract and personal identification documents (passport or residence permit) should be presented at a branch of the mobile phone service provider.

Addresses and contact details for mobile phone companies in Vietnam can be found below:

Cable and Satellite TV

To terminate a cable or satellite television contract, contact the service provider. Addresses and contact details for cable and satellite TV companies in Vietnam can be found below:


The procedure for informing schools when leaving Vietnam is very similar for all public, private and international schools. Parents should notify the school about their child's departure and ask for their academic records, certificates and other related documents several weeks prior to the departure.

Leaving the Country with Pets

The destination country will have their own rules and regulations regarding importation of pets and it is necessary to fully understand and comply with these before departure.

Normally, the following documentation is needed to import pets into a country:

  • Health certificate issued by the departure country
  • Pet’s inoculation record
  • Vaccination certificate (rabies, etc.)
  • A photocopy of the pet owner’s passport

The specific requirements of the destination country can be checked using the links below:

When transporting a pet by air, some airlines insist that a professional pet exporter is used to arrange flights to ensure that everything is completed on time prior to departure.

The International Air Transport Association provides guidelines on how to transport an animal by air. To travel by air, the animal must be in a container that allows it to stand and turn normally, as well as sit and lie in a natural position.

Travelling can be very traumatic for an animal so it advisable to allow it to get used to its travelling crate in the months leading up to the flight. Different airlines have different regulations so the rules for a chosen carrier should be checked when planning the journey.

The specific regulations of some of the main airlines can be found below: