Maybe a dodgy lump.

8 Replies

How can I get a horrid lump looked at that may be a melanoma, without paying hundreds, just dont have the finances, till I sell my property ???


silvers-763077 1346938010

Dr Barbara for €30 then scan for about €60 I would guess. Good luck.

silvers-763077 1346938093

Call the Hospital Sao Francisco in Alcobaca for a quote.

silvers-763077 1346945259

Failing that go to your local A&E and pay the €20, just go through the system, if the docs are worried they will refer you anyway.

silvers-763077 1346945280

But whatever you do Moni, do it now!

steve01-761778 1346947597

If its growing rapidly, itching like crazy, or bleeding around the edges, get it looked at now.

However most mole like lumps aren't melanoma, so don't worry until you've seen someone.

Personally i'd pay any amount to not spend hours, days or weeks worrying myself to death.

But here in Portugal - its not like the USA, - make a private appointment with any doctor and the average charge is less than 30 euros - and nearly all doctors will take private appointments the same day - if not there and then.

Failing that the local A&E will always see you and as stated before will charge 28 euros - take your passport.

If you really haven't got 30 euros pm me and i'll post it to you.

Best of luck

agnes devlin 1346960815

Hi Moni - I'm also willing to chip in for part of the cost and agree with what Silvers and Steve have said - please go now. Please post soon about seeing the doctor, Moni. You have some people who are waiting to know you're OK.

moni montague porter 1347009896

Gosh! obviosly, Im in awe by the kind responses to my is due to cash probs, I think lots of people move here with such lovely dreams, which can come true, but we cannot see the unexpected. have put a lot of monies into helping stray cats, and have not really had much response for help. i.e donations for car boots etc., so now Im selling my house, and then all will be good. The lump is a shiny pink thingy that has been with me for some months. I guess also a bit of fear holds me back. I went to A.Eand they want me to go straight away to Montpelier to see a specialist and have it removed and blood tests,. but it will be private, I have already got a problem on my face especially my nose, which the hospital diagnosed last year as not good. The reason for the ask for help, there must be a free way ofbeing looked at, cant only be having to go to private doctors to be recomended to more private doctors, each time they charge so much, if I could I would fly back to u.k but would rather be here now,and as I cannot fly back Anyway this is not a begging letter just an idea for help withouth going privately which does cost so much, But thank you so much kind people. x

steve01-761778 1347011529


if you're from the UK, don't you have a EHIC form that would cover you - if you're here on holiday ?

Failing that

If you move to an EEA country to live but not work and don't receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK.

You will need to apply for form S1 (or form E106 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland) with the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle). You also need to prove that you have worked in the UK and paid National Insurance contributions up to three years before your departure.

For further advice, contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle):

Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle)
Room TC001
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Phone 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am-5pm).

The S1 (or E106) will entitle you to treatment on the same basis as a resident of the country you are moving to. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution toward the cost of your care.

When the cover on the S1 (or E106) expires, you cannot get any further medical cover from the UK until you receive a UK state pension. It is up to the country’s authorities to decided whether you are eligible to join their healthcare scheme.

You will also be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to visit other EEA countries besides the one you are a resident with.

Best of luck

Join the discussion