Luxembourg Internet service providers (ISP) comparison March 2017

3 Replies
Eri-Polm

There are couple of topics with bits of info on internet connections at home but I thought I will share the results of my pretty thorough work.I was using Post's VDSL for the last 5 and half years. Can not complain, it did what it promised. Speed test gave 11Mb down, 550kb up. Price is been for all these years 59€ per month. But sometimes 11Mb down is not enough anymore, so I started to look for other ISP's and make a comparison. My goal is to have an Internet connection with unlimited data volume, without bells and whistles (services which I don't need).Also, I am comparing sometimes 30 or 50 or 100Mb download speed, so I kind of compare prices for different speeds. 30Mb download would be enough for me.To be honest, those monthly fees that are shown with big numbers on the websites of all the ISP's are never correct. All the ISP's will add you at least a router rental fee, which is around 6- 7€ per month. Plus, they all push their landline subscription to you, some of them force you to take also a TV subscription or a mobile. It is like when you go to a restaurant to have just a dessert and a coffee and the restaurant says: "If you won't take the salad and main course, you can not have a dessert!".So here it comes:Eltrona- Communication was good. All my emails got response.You are forced to take the home package with TV and landline. Unlimited 100/10 Mb internet connection + TV + landline- total monthly fee 59€. Join Experience- Communication was good. All my emails got response. This is a joint company- 50% Post, 50% Joint wireless. For fiber@home M, 50/10 Mb, Fritzbox rental and EU LARGE FLAT offer at 25,60 € (excl VAT) mobile subscription- total monthly fee 67.36 € (plus some VAT). They told me I can not have unlimited data volume with the cheapest (9.90€ per month) mobile subscription! But later they contacted me again and told they would make an exception for me and instead of EU LARGE FLAT I could have unlimited data volume also with SMALL+ Offer instead of a LARGE. Luxembourg Online- Communication was good. All my emails got response.With LOLFiber 30 you will subscribe also to a landline but it costs 0€ if you do not use it. For 30/10 Mb  internet and FRITZ!Box 7560 rental- total monthly fee 48.90 €.You can rent FRITZ!Box 7490 instead of FRITZ!Box 7560. That would raise your total by 2€ per month.Visual Online- Nitro M (30/10 Mb) costs 49.90 plus router rental 7,90€- total monthly fee 57.70 €.Can't say about communication as I did not write them. All the info was pretty clear on their website.There are yet two ISP's- Orange and Numericable, but a little googling convinced me that it would be smarter to stay away. Actually I had Numericable's connection for years until 2011 and it was very difficult to end their contract. Finally they said I have not returned their modem (although I had!) so I had to pay some penalties. Very annoying, stay away.--------------So I chose Luxembourg Online LOLFiber 30. It was very easy to order- you do it all on their website. Ordering took 10 minutes (setting up my account with LOL took half of that time).After 10 minutes from ordering a very nice mademoiselle called on my phone, and set up the installation date (more than a month from ordering date). She told me that there will be cabling fee but I told her all the (cat7) cables are already installed in our house and their technician should only bring the equipment and test if it works. So they made a remark in their docs and I will not have to pay for cabling. They sent then 2 files to my email for me to sign, scan and send them back.Very neat, you don't have to go out of your home to make a contract or order the connection. And it can be done basically within an hour.-----------------------------------Ok, the month has passed and technician came to install the TP Link MC220L fiber-to-Eth converter and FritzBox 7560 router.LOL is using Post's fiber and it seems that some patch was not placed somewhere. At least the fiber-to-Eth converter did not get the link up. On the next day the technicians came to fix the thing, found a fault somewhere out of our house and they got the link up. Speedtest gave me ping 3ms, download 29Mb/s, upload 10Mb/s.I also was able to configure my own VoIP within the Fritzbox. With Post's Fritzbox (7550) I had to edit the configuration with Telne in order to get my personal VoIP workingt. I was not able to configure the Post's Fritzbox in a normal way. But after editing the config I got it working also with Post. With LOL it was much simpler. With AVM.de tutorial I got it working in 10 minutes.I hope my comparison will help you when choosing between Luxembourg ISP's.

Replies

Daniel H 1490348439

Very helpful - thanks!

shawno 1509662013

shawno 1509662062

Awesome; we're moving to Lux in Nov..  Very helpful btw

Join the discussion
LOGIN OR REGISTER

Login