La pension d'invalidité after the UK leaves the EU

6 Replies

HiMy friend is disabled and is a UK citizen living in France.He has been living here for over 20 years and receives a pension d'invalidité from the French government each month which is all he has to live off.He is anxious if this will stop once the UK leaves the EU.Does he need to apply for French nationality to continue receiving his pension or will it be stopped once the UK leaves?

Featured Classified


Dave W-839 1499268327

I don't think anyone knows - least of all the UK government!

chèvrefeuille 1499327640

If he is a French resident receiving acFrench pension why should there be any change?

ranajrodger-615851 1499328387

He is a UK citizen

Bill Breedon-609263 1499433492

People who don't know what the situation is should avoid giving answers.

The UK has an agreement for benefits to be paid in other countries, including all EU countries, but as it says in their advice on claimants going abroad:

"There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK, nor UK nationals living in the EU, while the UK remains in the EU."

Note the bit about "while the UK remains in the EU".

So the answer is that no-one knows what the situation will be post Brexit.

Personally, I'm asking for French citizenship.

chèvrefeuille 1499445353

I hope they give it to you. Most people have to go through a formal application.

ranajrodger-615851 1499450551

Thank you

Join the discussion