started by: Richard-Gent-916280 · last update: 1521664038 · posted: 1521648526

started by: Jonathan-Scanlon-914682 · last update: 1513763293 · posted: 1510719065

Hello. My wife and I are American and are seeking to move to Provence in June 2018. We are preparing to apply for the long stay visa/visa de longue-sejour/type D visa. The closest consulate to us for a visa interview is in San Francisco. We hope to be as close to 100% sure that we will get the visa so that we don't have to travel to San Francisco twice. We can meet all of the requirements (see https://sanfrancisco.consulfrance.org/spip.php?article2703), but have a question for others who have been through this process about the proof of accommodation requirement.In our ideal scenario for our year, we aim to live in a few different towns/cities. So, when we apply for the visa we will have our first accommodation worked out, but we may not have our second location secured. Will this be acceptable for the interview?The requirements do not state if we need to have proof of accommodation for the entire year. Does anyone know if there is a time length requirement for the proof of accommodation? Does it have to cover the entire time that we will be in France under the visa?Not all consulates have the same list of requirements for the proof of accommodation. For example, in Vancouver BC the proof of accommodation section states that you can have a temporary residence (https://vancouver.consulfrance.org/Long-stay-visa-for-Visitors). Yes, I know that the rules for Canada may be different than for the U.S., but I'm wondering if this indicates that temporary residence is acceptable for all long stay visas.Any insights from people who have been through this application process would be very helpful. Thank you. 

started by: Darren-Stokes-893248 · last update: 1507292533 · posted: 1507274193

I hope someone can help I am finding it hard to find the information i need.I would like to set up an association in France and pay a member of staff on a non regular basis for example school holidays etc. But i am completely put off by the idea i may be paying double to the French adminstration. E.g 1000 to the employee 1000 to the administration. I really need some help please to understand how to pay an employee and if it is a mindfield that i don't want to get into. Thanks 

started by: Curtis-Lake-897326 · last update: 1501073811 · posted: 1491805159

Hi - I'm looking for financial advice - I have an amount of money (small inheritance) I would like to put away for a while and am looking for a tax-efficient home for it; i.e. not subject to social charges.  I am aware of Luxembourg-based Assurance Vie (in £) but am unable to find a genuinely independent financial advisor to set one up for me.  (I would like to choose my own funds in which to invest).  The only supposedly IFAs I have come across are restricted and limited in what they can suggest.I'd also consider an alternative to an Ass V. as long as it is exempt from S Charges. (Livret A already up to its limit)Have any of you either - suggestions for a home for the money, or, better still, a truly independant IFA .Thanks in advance.

started by: Rick-873865 · last update: 1496403384 · posted: 1496403383

Hello, I am moving to France in July and have sold my UK property.  From the day I leave the UK, I therefore have no rights to NHS treatment. It takes 3 months minimum to gain access to the French system. What happens in the interim 3 months?

started by: Rick-873865 · last update: 1489245898 · posted: 1489245898

Does anybody know how a UK SIPP is treated in relation to Wealth Tax.  I have heard that whereas a UK occupational pension is exempt, a SIPP is included in the wealth tax assessment as its capital value is an assett. This would seem strange as I cannot access the full capital value without paying a hefty income tax bill. The entire value cannot therefore be an assett. Any knowledge on here?

started by: John-Edward-893895 · last update: 1487889444 · posted: 1487757216

Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster.Looking for some advice from people who may have had the same problem with getting planning permission.Land size 10,000 sqmThere has been back and forth with the local Mairie over the last several years with nothing getting done. My father who has been trying to get planning for building his house in Aix so he could finally retire there but has all but given up having been unable to make any progress the way we have been doing it by meeting with the Mairie several times over the years asking about getting planning on the site but always getting told it was not possible.There are houses to the left of us, the right of us, above us and below us all within 50 metres so I cannot understand the logic of how planning is decided. On a side note, if anyone knows a professional who deals with this type of legal matter I would be happy to get their details for advice on the matter.What people should we be talking to about this issue or do we have to keep going through the Mairie?Thanks all

started by: Joe-Evans-891354 · last update: 1486651961 · posted: 1484765146

Hi everyone,Would really appreciate some info / help in case anyone hasexperience in thisSmall bit of background: My Mother is currently renting inToulon area (in La Garde) but it is very hard to find people that will rent toher since she has no income and not so much savings left now. Long story shortit looks like I am going to need to look into buying somewhere for her, which Iwould need a mortgage for. I am a UK citizen (now living/working in Geneva),cannot speak French and have never bought a property before even in UK..So I am not too sure where to start but know in the UK it isgood to speak to a mortgage broker who will compare the deals available in themarket, I guess it is the same in France? Does anybody know of any in Francethat are English speaking? Many thanks in advance for any thoughts / comments at allBrgdsJoe

started by: Malcolm-Ward-870550 · last update: 1474874583 · posted: 1474874583

Hello, does anyone have an English translation of the H1 form required for the local tax fonciere?Thanks for your help.

started by: blueboy2499-226319 · last update: 1473325571 · posted: 1473325571

Does anyone know where a person can excange/ buy foreign currency i.e US dollars or other currency for holiday spends without having to rely on a Bureau de Change at an airport etc.I have made various enquiries about this and no one can come up with a helpful definitive answer.!

started by: Bethdilint · last update: 1471768056 · posted: 1468417105

I am starting a renovation in Provence actually Goult in the fall. Does anyone have any experience opening a compte non-resident account recently ( from the US)  or have a recommendations for me? I am told it is difficult to find a bank that will open an account with a US citizen since the FATCA law 

started by: I&J · last update: 1467296355 · posted: 1467296355

Hello.  We have a completely self-contained newly converted annexe and are thinking of letting it via booking.com/airbnb etc.  Obviously we would adjust our insurance accordingly, but I'm told I should also advise our local Mairie (in the Luberon) as we may be required to pay a tax - is this correct?  Does anyone know approximately how much that might be?

started by: George-Baron-860387 · last update: 1464383003 · posted: 1464159379

My wife and I are planning to retire to Nice but my brother tells me that I shouldn't do it because tax is so much higher than the UK.   He has worked out that my wife's and my pension combined we would be paying €22000.   Just so that I can tell him he's wrong what would our joint pensions total have to be to get this much tax.   We're both useless when it comes to tax.

started by: Samantha-657235 · last update: 1456131209 · posted: 1453713112

I don't know how it works in France, but I know that in the states had I broke my ankle on the sidewalk where there was construction going on they would be liable.  I was on my way to a job interview and I stepped in a little hole and twisted and fractured my ankle, cannot move for 45 days and I live on a hill with 200 steps with an 8 month old baby.  Any lawers or legal advice? My partner is running out of patience with me.  

started by: djinMenton · last update: 1455531479 · posted: 1455531479

Hi - I've got a problem with an Italian electricien (he won't finish the work after 14 months). I've repeatedly 'phoned him but - he just won't come (mistakenly I've paid him in advance). I'm planning a demonstration in Ventimiglia in March, with placard and leaflet distribution. I'm advising the police and Mayors Office in advance. Anyone any experience of such an action or any advice preferably legal?

started by: Lynne&Ham-782094 · last update: 1449594038 · posted: 1446117378

A new campaign group has recently formed in the UK called WASPI (Women Against State Pension Inequality Campaign) to "seek fair transitional arrangements for all women born on or after 6th April 1951 who have unfairly borne the burden of the increase to the State Pension Age (SPA). Hundreds of thousands of women have had significant changes imposed on them with a lack of appropriate notification. The 1995 Conservative Government’s Pension Act included plans to increase women’s SPA to 65, the same as men’s. Women Against State Pension Inequality (WASPI), agree with equalisation, but don’t agree with the unfair way the changes were implemented – with little/no personal notice (1995/2011 Pension Acts), faster than promised (2011 Pension Act), and no time to make alternative plans. Retirement plans have been shattered with devastating consequences." A crowdfunding exercise raised enough to pay for legal advice and barristers are currently considering potential action. A petition has been signed by more than 21,000 people since the 20th October. Yesterday it was announced that the Parliamentary Select Committee for Work and Pensions will be seeking submissions from women born in the 50's. "The Work and Pensions Committee have launched an inquiry into the new State Pension introduced in April 2016. Concerns have been raised that many of those who will be affected by the changes do not know enough about the changes or exactly what they will mean for their pensions." More details here:-  I am sure that there are many of you (like me) who are affected by these changes. You may want to consider signing the petition and asking your family and friends to do the same here You can find more information about the campaign and read some of the heartbreaking stories about women who have been left without the money they are entitled to here: Please pass this information to the women you know who were born in the 50's!

started by: roussillon-647780 · last update: 1444383129 · posted: 1444221962

We have had a second home in the Luberon for the past eight years:  just over 2 years ago there was a particularly bad storm and a lot of our equipment, alarm etc were destroyed.  Our insurance company paid out on this minus a fixed amount. We had the board rewired;  parafoudres and just about anything else you can think of installed to try and protect the alarm, computers (we have a defence on this) etc. but despite these efforts, a storm in June this year just above knocked out or destroyed everything. A loss assessor was sent by the company and she inspected everything and said that we could not have done more to protect the house and that the claim would be paid less a small excess.  We are still waiting and have now been told that the insurance company do not wish to continue to insure us when our current cover runs out (January or so). This area patently is subjec to regular and often violent storms - we would very much appreciate any input on what other people do with regard to both protection and even more importantly, what insurance companies do they deal with who understand the area etc. We have a home in London and have never had a claim there, yet in over 30 years I have not ever known our insurance company to lower their rates to reflect this.  It appears to be a one-way situation - i.e. all companies are happy to insure you but you should not expect to claim! We do realise that the potential for storm damage is high despite our best efforts - we now have two override switches that the minute any lightening appears, we switch over and sit in the dark with candles until it is over - but we are not here all the time. Any helpful advice etc. would be most appreciated. D& D

started by: scat-657351 · last update: 1438790097 · posted: 1438790097

Good afternoon, we are looking for a solicitor who is registered in the UK to sign a document. Rather urgent as we need it by Weds 12 August! Does anyone know of someone , perhaps on holiday here, who would be able to do this? 

started by: Roma2311 · last update: 1436543924 · posted: 1436543924

i am looking for a traducteur jure/a certified translator to help me translate a couple of documents I need for some paperwork does anyone know of someone in the area of Lorgues or Draguignan(var) i look forward to hearing from you Roma Acosta

started by: madlbear · last update: 1433840585 · posted: 1433708769

Hi I am returning to Australia from France and need to find some government approved vets to get all the tests and vaccinations.  does anyone know where i could find this info as i am really struggling and my local vet doesnt know anything.  thanks regards mariane

started by: