Taxation when you live more than 180 day a year outside France

3 Replies

Could anyone please tell me about my situation and make suggestions legal-wise. I'm a French resident for the past 7 years. Expect to receive a large sum of money this year. Ready to spend more than 180 days outside France in some other country where taxes are lower (perhaps Montenegro or even rent a flat in Monaco). In this case, do I have to pay any taxes in France given I lived more than 180 days a year outside France? Do I have to show them/declare my income when I lived outside? What if I use my French bank to receive funds but still live outside France or is it better to use some other country bank?

Featured Classified


Mad-Hatter-1017809 1646069742

If you don't have any particular reason for spending time outside France, ie you are not working/not attending a university/not looking after a family member, and you keep your home in France and nothing about your life changes except just you're spending time travelling,  France will likely continue to consider you resident..

Apart from anything else, do you have freedom of movement? Can you legally live for 6 months in Monaco or Montenegro? A French CdS is only good for living in France, it doesn't give you residence rights anywhere else.

David-K-1024232 1646137521

I was thinking to spend time in my country which is outside EU. I don't think I need any particular reason for that because this is my original country of citizenship. Though I'm not sure now.

If I move to Montenegro or Monaco, then I will probably have to apply for their residency, rent an apartment there and really stay there, not just pretend stay. But in this case I'll lose French titre de sejour (which I won't regret given their tax burden)

Mad-Hatter-1017809 1646223337

Normally you can spend as long as you like in your own country ie country of nationality.

France does not have a simple 183 day rule for residency. They look at things like, where is your "foyer", what country are most of your assets tied up in, basically where do you run your life from. In some circumstances it is possible to be classed as tax resident in France even if you have not spent a single day in France during the tax year.

Sorry but I don't think "pretending" to live somewhere else will get past the fisc.If it was as easy as, just tell them you've been outside the country for 186 days and they won't ask any questions or do any checks, don't you think lots of people would do it?

If you don't want to live in France any more and you want to escape the fisc, the only sure way is to sell up, move out and establish yourself for the long term in a different country. Your tax obligations in France will then end on the day you become resident in your new country. Depending on which country you move to, your tax obligations there might start the day you arrive or they might start as from the beginning of that tax year, depending on how they do things. For most countries, the immigration process would start by finding yourself somewhere to live, and then applying for a visa.

Join the discussion