Discussions

started by: Sabine-185643 · last update: 1052160663 · posted: 1052160663

Hello,  I am looking for a boy friend "Sacré de Birmanie" in order to found a family with a nice female of this race (no LOOF). She would give one little cat in exchange for this relationship! Sabine Sabine

started by: calcalino · last update: 1052159146 · posted: 1052137127

will be based in antibes from september and will be bringing my gorgeous now 10 week old puppy with me - he'll be 7 months old when i arrive.... need to have a place for him to stay occasionally - either well recommended kennels or personal home recommendation...anyone any ideas please thanks from a sunny but cold london uk

started by: calcalino · last update: 1052139484 · posted: 1052137199

anyone know of good obedience/agility classes in antibes please for loveable irish setter to attend thanks

started by: punc · last update: 1051825352 · posted: 1049934425

Anyone seen them? Maybe they don't like the cold damp weather. They were all here, all rampant and rutting, a couple of weeks ago. Now there's just a few bedraggled stragglers hanging around. Anyone any idea where the others could have gone?  

started by: yjme-181229 · last update: 1051790091 · posted: 1047552732

Well, no easy way of saying this. My back was turned, the birthday boy (four) had a pair of child’s scissors and was looking extremely guilty about something, and the cat rushed out of the bathroom, banged into the front door and miaowed to get out.  As I picked her up to comfort her, behold, I noticed a change in her. She had nice, neat, SHORT, whiskas! Now, who can tell me how long they take to grow back, will she be psychologically perturbed for life and will she fall over?     YJME

started by: Hazndlynds-182433 · last update: 1051715816 · posted: 1051709560

Hi Does anyone know where we can get information on catteries in France. We have a real dilemma We must leave our cats in a cattery near Bourg Sainte Maurice in the Alps whilst we go back to england for 2 weeks. Any help would be appreciated    

started by: niki_jo · last update: 1051564486 · posted: 1050921816

Hi, I have a 7 month old Golden in desperate need of a hip replacement surgery. We live in India where this surgery is not performed and I intend to fly him to France for the same. Can someone advice me on names of surgeons/vets/hospitals who I could write to. Someone who speaks English would be preferred as I speak no French at all. Also, what are the quarantine rules in France? I need the information on the vets as soon as possible. The only other option I have otherwise is to put my baby down which is heartbreaking. regards niki

started by: Angela-181053 · last update: 1050868723 · posted: 1050868723

Hi there , Are there any Newfie fans or owners out there, we are considering getting one later this year and would love to hook up with existing fans of these amazing animals. We live in Nice     Angela

started by: Rosbif-185958 · last update: 1050771610 · posted: 1050694589

OK, now I guess this has been spoken about before but this morning, the sanglier finally motivated me to ask you folks what you think: I got up, breakfasted etc. and wandered outside into the garden as one normally would. Then I nearly broke my neck as i fell into a quite remarkable hole that had been dug during the night.  I have also recently layed some cable in some gaine in trenches about a foot deep between the buildings that we have here, and the pesky pigs have practically dug them all up again.  Now, I wouldn't mind if they showed me where the truffles were, but they either eat them or simply don't care about truffles and are just out to set traps for me and my family.  It's a right pain, because if it gets much worse, we might need to invest in some agricultural plant to fill the holes back in again. OK so I exaggerate a little, but this particular hole is the biggest I've seen. It must have been dug by a whole family of the beasts.  Does anyone have any ideas whatsoever about how to deter these creatures that doesn't involve large guage firearms?  I spoke to the viticulteur who lives opposite about this problem and he is in a worse position than us, because he obviously has to look after his vines.  He tried putting a half meter electric fence around his garden at some considerable expense. It was only a couple of days before the sanglier figured out how to negociate this clever obstacle. They just jump over it now. Anyone got similar problems? Does anyone know what to do? Failing that, i might just buy a 12 guage and invite everyone over for a huge barbecue.  :D Cheers Ros

started by: Janne-181880 · last update: 1050573111 · posted: 1050531935

It's that time again... Watch out for les chenilles processionnaires. These are caterpillars which come out of round, white, fuzzy nests they build in pine trees (normally property owners will burn these nests if they see them) and travel single file, sometimes stopping in writhing circles on the ground. This phenomenon will continue well into the summer. These caterpillars are extremely dangerous as they "burn" the flesh of any animal, child or person that touches them. A small animal can even die from the burn on contact. For more info on Threats to your Pets, see the Anglo Info home page, then click on Pets, then Pet Threats.   Janne

started by: jeanieP · last update: 1050241330 · posted: 1050091467

I have been looking after my friend's cat for nearly 4 months now to get her to go to the UK. Never known before that poor thing will be on heat every 2-3 weeks and it really noisy and abit irritate now. The owner don't want to spay her now the her vet recommend the *Anti Chaleur* shot but the other vet(near wher I live) not recommend. what can I do to be the best for the cat and me ... jeanieP

started by: leslie-179832 · last update: 1050067380 · posted: 1048806227

I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor, how do ants find their way into my cusine american? I am neurotically clean, do not leave food crumbs around and even vacume my stove! These ants just started appearing this week. Is it hte season for them to hatch? Anyway, do not want to use chemical products to get rid of them. Any suggestions? they are strange looking ants...they are reddish and move very very fast. Leslie

started by: LeahD · last update: 1049808522 · posted: 1049808522

Hello : ) I am wondering if anyone knows of a dog groomers in Antibes?  Also, of a good vet? Thanks in advance!!

started by: Maria Vanner · last update: 1049558782 · posted: 1048701758

Very friendly & loving looking for new home. Has good pedigree and L.O.F. Owners returning to U.K. unable to take with them. Used to garden & loving home.

started by: jeanieP · last update: 1048420534 · posted: 1048420534

Is there anyone experience taking cat to the UK? My friend tried to take her cat to the UK, the cat had microship,vaccinated but seem like there are few problems so the cat stucked here. I rang the airline few days ago they said leave from France to the Uk is difficult so there recommend me to go via Brussel or Amsterdam or by eurostar which is no problem but it didn't sound logic to me. why can she enter the Uk by train not by plan? Poor cat is a flat cat but look eagerly at the garden downstair and had her mouth wide open when bird came closer.I think she will enjoy more in the UK with her owner in a house with garden. Please help. jeanieP

started by: CJ-185994 · last update: 1047851415 · posted: 1047851415

We have recently adopted a dog from a refuge and are looking for a secondhand dog kennel for him.  He is a small dog and so any size kennel would be OK. If you can help, please e-mail me with the details: cjmoroney@aol.com Thanks. RegardsClaire Moroney

started by: lespalmiers · last update: 1047432765 · posted: 1042641438

Regards, Les

started by: Janne-181880 · last update: 1046540795 · posted: 1026977341

From the Friends of Guenady : One of our objectives being to further public awareness about animal welfare, we are pleased to present a translation, offered by Rosemary Matthews, of an article written by Christiane M. Haupt, a French student of veterinary medecine concerning the work experience (stage professionnel) she undertook in an abattoir, as a part of her studies. Rosemary tells us : The account contains three passages which I feel deserve to be singled out. They are brief but very powerful... One is when Christiane feels something rub against her and she turns to look into the eyes of a pig... The second is a particularly moving passage in which she speaks about a stricken cow which, too exhausted to move any further, has collapsed just short of the killing box. It lies there for hours and Christiane takes the time to stop and try to comfort it. She says that in that moment she learned that cows can cry. The cow's distress and Christiane's simple act of kindness at this point brought tears to my eyes... The third is the passage where Christiane describes another cow, its eyes filled with panic, being imprisoned in a box where it has a 'panoramic view' of its companions being skinned and cut into pieces... These three passages, I feel, deserve to be reproduced by themselves as excerpts. Perhaps as a means to introduce Christiane's article, or simply based on their own merits, as a short but effective message that the way these animals are treated has got to stop... Realistically, I believe it unlikely that public demand for meat will ever cease entirely, but at the very least, pressure should be brought to bear to change the present system of slaughter; the distress and trauma which these animals experience is unacceptable. The Friends of Guenady hope that in the long run the day will come when, as Leonardo de Vinci (a vegetarian) predicted, “men like me will look upon the murder of an animal the way people look today upon the murder of other people.” So, we also agree with Rosemary: '...the way these animals are treated has got to stop.' In accordance with Rosemary's wishes, we excerpt here following the three passages mentioned... The full article, in the original French as well as Rosemary's translation, can be read on our site : www.stop-abus-animal.com, under the heading Bulletin. Thank you, Rosemary! Excerpts from : An eyewitness account by a student of veterinary medicine on a training course in an abattoir. Lived and written by Christiane M. Haupt ...From behind, something rubs against me at the level of my knees; I turn around and see two bright blue eyes. I know many animal lovers who enthuse about the deep sentiments one can read in the eyes of a cat, or the unfailingly loyal and faithful regard in the eyes of a dog. But who talks about the intelligence and curiosity that one can perceive in the eyes of a pig? Soon, I would learn to know these eyes, but in another manner: struck dumb with fright, overcome with pain, then emptied; drained, broken, rolling on the blood-stained floor. ...If I had to portray in images the concept of “fear”, I would do so by drawing the pigs huddled up against one another in front of the closed door, and I would draw their eyes. I will never be able to forget their eyes. The eyes that each one of us who wants to eat meat should be made to look at... ...I would like to talk about the slaughter of the cows, their soft, brown eyes, filled with panic. Their attempts to escape, of all the blows and the curses, until the miserable beast is finally imprisoned behind the iron bars and double-locked door of the pen, with a panoramic view onto the hall where the cow's unfortunate companions are being skinned and cut into pieces. Then the approach of death; a chain is hooked around a hind leg and in the moment that follows, the animal tries vainly to free itself. Even as it lunges upwards, its head is severed. The stream of blood which spurts in profusion from the headless body even as the hooves draw themselves up... ...I now have the certainty that no god can exist because no lightning came down from the sky to punish the crimes committed down here, crimes which will be perpetuated interminably. Nor to soothe the thin and pitiful cow which, when I arrived at 7 o'clock in the morning, was dragging herself along, at the limit of her strength, exhausted by her desperate efforts in the glacial corridor, full of draughts. Too exhausted to go on, she had collapsed just in front of the killing box. For her, there is no god, nor anyone else, to give her a small tap on the head to help her out of her suffering. Before that could be done, they had to deal with the rest of the animals destined for slaughter. When I left at midday, she was still lying there, shivering. Despite repeated instructions, no one had come to deliver her. So I loosened the halter which was pitilessly strangling her flesh and I stroked her forehead. She looked at me with her huge eyes and I learned then, in that moment, that cows can cry... ...I leave without a backwards glance because I have borne witness and, at present, I want to try to forget and to continue to live. It is to others to fight now; myself, it is my strength, my will, and my joy of living that have been taken away from me and replaced by a sentiment of guilt and paralysing sadness. Hell is amongst us, thousands and thousands of times, day after day. There is one thing left however, and for ever, for each one of us to do. Say, “No! No! No and no again!” Janne

started by:

Login