Opening an AccountTurkey
Opening a Turkish Bank Account
Understand what is required to open a bank account in Turkey...
Turkish resident bank account
A foreigner moving to Turkey may open a bank account by visiting a branch. Most banks offer a choice of accounts to suit the customer's needs, and provide a wide range of services. Accounts are usually approved on the same day, and access to telephone and Internet banking can be activated shortly afterwards. There are three types of accounts:
- Current account: These are generally free but non-interest bearing. Charges apply to overdrafts and additional services.
- Savings account
- Deposit account
Joint accounts are available; it is important to stipulate whether a single or joint signatures are required to withdraw funds when opening a joint account. Accounts in a foreign currency are also available.
The following documents are required in order to open an account:
- Passport (the bank will make a photocopy of this)
- Republic of Turkey Tax Identification Number: most banks can help customers obtain this number. The registration procedure is simple and straightforward and takes place at the Finance and Tax Office
- Completed proof of signature form
- Proof of address (such as a recent utility bill)
Non-resident bank account
It is possible for non-residents to open a bank account in Turkey. The same documents (listed above) are required.
It is also possible to open an account remotely and many banks provide online telephone services in English.